We are here to help you before and after an accident. If you are in a car accident, here’s what you should do:
- Check for Injuries. If anyone is seriously injured, call 911 or instruct someone else to call 911.
- Move your Car to a Safe Place. Pull your car to the side of the road, if it is drivable. If not, leave it where it is at and get yourself to safety and out of traffic.
- Exchange Information with the Other Party. After checking for injuries and moving to a safe place, exchange personal information with the other party. Avoid admitting or debating fault at the scene, and exchange the following details:
• Full name & contact information
• Insurance company & policy number
• Driver’s license & license plate number
• Type, color, model of vehicle(s)
• Location of accident
- File a Police Report. It is very important to always file a police report after an accident. Whether it is a parking lot fender bender or a multi-vehicle collision, police reports can protect you when you file a claim. If the police are unable to come to the scene, go to the nearest police station and complete a report yourself.
- Document the Accident. If it is safe to do so, take pictures on your smart phone of the damage on your vehicle and the other vehicle’s involved. Take down contact information of any witnesses and make sure to get a copy of the police report, or the police report number.
- Notify Your Insurance Advisor. Once all of this is completed, notify your insurance advisor of the accident. Your advisor can discuss your deductibles, coverages, and next steps when filing a claim.
- Download Your Insurance Company’s Mobile App. If your insurance carrier has a mobile app, downloading it can provide you with quick and immediate details on claim filing. Many also allow you to document the accident, upload photos and police reports, and file the claim quickly.
Accidents can be a stressful part of life, but understanding the appropriate steps directly afterwards can ensure a quick and painless claims process. If you have questions on what to do after a car accident, let us know and we can help.