Cyber crime and identity theft cases are on the rise across the country. Ohio ranks near the top for identity theft in the nation. The Buckeye State tied with North Dakota and West Virginia for the highest average loss amount due to online identity theft, according to research by WalletHub. Learn how to protect your identity and follow these steps to be safer online.
How do I protect my identity?
- Don’t share your Social Security Number and never carry your card in your wallet.
- Freeze your credit reports by contacting each of the three credit bureaus.
- Don’t provide personal information over the phone or online from unsolicited requests.
- Shred credit card offers and account statements.
- Consider using a Virtual Private Network (VPN), which can help secure your home network.
- Use complex passwords and require multi-factor authentication for online logins.
- Review your free credit report annually for any inaccuracies at AnnualCreditReport.com.
- Check that your home or renters insurance policy provides identity theft protection. (It costs around $35 a year.)